|step number||step corresponding information|
Prepare your trade mark
- make sure your trade mark is a distinctive, word, logo, picture or other sign that clearly identifies your goods and services from other traders
- check if someone else has already registered or applied to register a similar mark for similar goods or services.
- check if someone else is using a similar mark for similar goods or services.
- decide what classes of goods or services you require in Nice's classification list.
You fill in the online application form : http://depot-marque.inpi.fr
You print your application form, and send it with the fees and the documents required to the INPI
You proceed online registration of your trademark
We respond by issuing a certificate which includes an application number and the date of application.
Your request for recording of mark will be published with the "Bulletin Officiel de la Propriété Industrielle" (BOPI), on average six weeks after the date of application.
There is a period of two months for anyone else to oppose the registration of your mark. The INPI also examines possible irregularities of your demand by studying the formal requirements (the designation of the products and services for example) and the basic conditions (in order to check that it is indeed a distinctive sign which is not prohibited or misleading).
Until the technical preparations of the registration, it is possible for you to present a withdrawal of the whole of your request for registration (total withdrawal) or a part of the products and services (partial withdrawal). The withdrawal must be required by the owner of the title.
If you do not withdraw your request and if it was not rejected, following an opposition or a irregularity, your mark is recorded with the national Register. You then receive the certificate of recording which guarantees the protection of your trademark during 10 years from the date of application.
IP General information
- What is intellectual property?
- Get the right IP for your business
- Manage your IP rights
- IP valuation
- Cost information
- IP TOOLBOX
- The office
- Utility Model
- Registered Design
- Other rights